Monday, 19 January 2015

First build of the year complete - Mustang Flyover

So after xmas and NY celbrations etc were had it was time to settle back into the mancave and turn something out before the January MSMC meeting a couple of weeks later.

The first job was to move some of my computer gear etc out of the room and into the garage and fit some fans so the 25+ celsius days did not melt me, or my kits.

As the January theme was mustangs and it was not enough time to finish the 32nd P51 I went for the 72nd scale Airfix P51.

The victim
One bag of parts, decals and instructions.
Paint callout on the back of the box, ill be pretty much sticking with this.
Most impressed with detail on this little bird.

Ready for primer and colour, sorted with a bit of tape

Tried a bit of mottling under the top coat to hopefully add shade to panels.
You can also see the difference adding Tamiya Panel Line Accent makes

Clamped the fuselage together, pretty good fit all round, might be able to get away without putty.
Didnt get any pics of cockpit sadly :-/ Not that you will see much. Silly putty used to keep paint out.
Pilot primed in black.

Pilot painted and fitted, canopy secure ready for masking.

Time to start on base, wanted a rough texture so glued down some bits of matchsticks.
The Square is for the acrylic I will be using to elevate the plane

Model Air Aluminum over the body, the Tamiya Panel Line Accent is still doing its job.
Red sections were masked and sprayed with Tamiya Red
Nose was painted with Model Air Olive Drab
Decalling the stripes, why I don't know, they were there :-)
Props decalled and Gundam marker used for the yellow tips.

Decals on, coat of klear over that and weathering begins with the guns using MIG Pigments Smoke.

 AK Interactive Grime and Fuel Stains used to show some fuel leaking, needs some tidy up but liking the flow.
Sludge wash applied with Flory Models Dark Grey
Once it dries it is wiped off with cotton buds in the direction of airflow for some subtle streaking.
Base got a layer of Tamiya Diorama Dark Grass and then coated with Army Painter Grass
Acrylic rod attached.
Aircraft finished with a satin coat and cockpit masking removed
I decided the base needed something extra some very average figures were painted up

Path created for figures and a couple of power lines should add to the effect.
The effect was satisfactory and most importantly I was done with 2 days to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment